6th Aug. 08

The Kent League summer season is drawing to a close and several Herne Bay teams were playing their last matches which would ensure their place in divisional finals or just secure their survival in the same division next summer. The mixed 1st team played Blackheath 1 at home in the top division knowing that a win would put them into the final in September. After the 1st round the match was finely balanced at 1 rubber all but Herne Bay led by a set, then the Bay’s 2nd pair, Sally Holmes/Dominic Wood beat the Blackheath number ones in straight sets to clinch the match and also take the pressure off their team mates. Peter Elsden/Anne Gibbs responded well by coming back from the loss of the second set to win 10-7 in a championship tie-break and give the team a 3-1 win. They now have to wait to find out who their opponents will be in the final. The mixed 2nd team also had a match at home at the weekend to Bromley Cricket club 3 in division 3. The team made a poor start when both pairs lost their first round matches, Martin Beckley/Gill Dickey won the first set against the Bromley 1st pair but then lost the next set and the subsequent tie-break. Meanwhile Lionel Hoskins, who was making his comeback appearance for Herne Bay after brain surgery in a weekend match, partnered Louise Tucker and they found the opposition’s 2nd pair too strong losing 6-3,6-4. In the 2nd round fortunes changed completely with Hoskins and Tucker having no problems beating the Bromley 1st pair, 2 and 1 and Beckley/Dickey also played well particularly after they had a very hard clash of heads when the both tried to play the same ball. From that point on they did not drop a game and the team won the match by 1 set when they were tied on the same number of rubbers. The 2nd team have one fixture left to play and having lost just one match they have to win their last match against Frindsbury and hope that the division leaders Bromley Cricket club 1 slip up in their last match. Ladies 1 and 3 completed all their fixtures in division 1 and 6 and will both remain in those divisions next summer. The ladies 3rd team had a very long match against a strong Broadstairs 2 and were only able to win one rubber, Danielle Miles/Christina Bell beat the 2nd pair 6-4, 6-1 but Sue Toye/Diana High were unlucky to lose a marathon rubber which lasted 2 hours 6-4, 5-7, 6-4. The mens midweek veterans  team had a very convincing 4-0 win against Canterbury 2 at home with Gary Sims/Keith Clark only dropping 1 game all morning and Brian Cooper/ Lionel Hoskins  also won both their rubbers. If the team beat Broadstairs this week they will be in a play-off against Canterbury 1 for the midweek title.

In the Dover & District league matches have been coming thick and fast and most of the Herne Bay team have been playing their last matches. In the mixed division 2 the A team played Hythe B at home and won 4-0 without dropping any sets. The team was Peter Grimwood/Debbie Holden and Dave Lawrence/Christina Bell. The team has one match left to play and are unbeaten so far this season so will definitely be promoted to the 1st division next summer The mixed B team have had a much harder time in the same division and have not won many matches but as they played several times in a few days to catch–up matches postponed due to rain they had two victories. They beat Hythe B away by 5 sets to 3 and Ash a home by 6 sets to 2. The teams for these two matches were Ben Clacy/Sue Toye and Andy Cannon/Anya Stileman against Hythe and Clacy/Danielle Miles plus Matt Hoffmeister/Denise Parrett against Ash. The B team finished with 13 points and will have to hope that it is enough to keep them in division 2 next summer since both Hythe B and Ash could pass their total in their last matches. In the ladies competition Herne Bay played Walmer and Bridge and won both matches easily. In the match against Walmer they won by 7 sets to 1 in a confusing evening with Walmer conceding some rubbers and then playing others to a conclusion. The team was Christine Hanson/Diana High and Debbie Holden/Mary Haldin. In the match against Bridge it was a stop start affair when rain game and the teams thought they would have to rearrange the match and then it ceased and they were able to continue. Herne Bay scored and emphatic 8 sets to nil win. The team dodging the showers was Diana High/Caroline Mitchell and Debbie Holden/Liz Harvey. Finally in the East Kent league mens 3 had a good win away to Pfizer in division 4 by 6 sets to 4 after they were level on rubbers. The team was Bob Toye/Greg Pearson and Andy Cannon/Dave Clements. Cannon and Clements played particularly well winning both their rubbers while Toye and Pearson picked-up 2 sets which proved crucial to winning the match

In county match featuring Herne Bay players the Kent 45 mens team travelled to Plymouth to play Devon and won 4-1. Peter Elsden played singles and won 6-1, 6-4 then teamed up with the other singles player, who also won, to beat the specialist doubles players from Devon in 3 sets. Dominic Wood played with Martin O’Neil from Walmer and they won one of their 2 doubles matches. In the Kent 60’s match at home to Berkshire there was a similar 4-1 winning result. Keith Clark won his singles match comfortably and the doubles pairings including Gary Sims won all 3 of their rubbers. In the Walmer Open Tournament Anne Gibbs and Gill Dickey successfully defended their ladies over 45 doubles title for the 2nd year running but there were no other wins for Herne Bay players this year