12th Apr. 10

It was a busy weekend for Herne Bay Tennis club with the climax of the winter league season and the start of the summer leagues. Two Herne Bay tennis were playing away in divisional finals, the mixed 1st team and the ladies veterans 2nd team. The mixed team travelled to Sydenham to play their 1st team in a repeat of last year’s division 1 final. The 1st round was very close with Peter Elsden/Anne Gibbs just being edged out 7-6, 6-4 by the opposition’s youngsters and Martin Beckley/Gill Dickey losing 3 and 3 to the 2nd pair. In the 2nd round Elsden and Gibbs thrashed the Sydenham 2nd pair 2 and 0 but Beckley and Dickey lost 4 and 1 to their 1st pair giving Sydenham a 3-1 win. In the other final, the 2nd ladies veterans played in the division 4 final at Bromley Wendover and won by a set. Sue Toye/Debbie Holden and Christine Hanson/Diana High both won their rubbers against the Wendover 2nd pair and lost to their 1st pair, but Toye and Holden managed to take a set from them which clinched the match and title.
The summer season also started at the weekend with matches in both the Kent League and the East Kent league. In the Kent League division 4 the ladies 2nd team played Bearsted 2nd team at home and won a very close match by 6 games after they were level on rubbers and sets. Hanson/High played together for the 2nd time that weekend and won one rubber and lost one in straight sets. Bay’s other pairing of Sarah Pout/Danielle Miles, had a more topsy-turvy match with both their rubbers going to 3 sets and they won one and lost one. Eventually the teams were tied on 2 rubbers all, 5 sets all but Bay won 46 games to 40 – a pleasing start to the season! There was also a 1st match of the season in the East Kent league for both mens 1 and 2 – they had to play each other. Both teams are in division 2 this season so their 1st match has to be against each other. Luckily for mens 1 they won by 3 rubbers to 1. Lionel Hoskins and Peter Grimwood won both their rubbers for the 1st team and Bryan Packham/Gary Sims won the other 1 while Ron Withers/Dave Clements picked up the rubber for the 2nd team.