26th Sep. 10

The club held their Finals on Sunday. The singles events both had youngsters in them challenging the older defending champions. In the men’s singles Peter Elsden took on Alex Kazakeos and although the match had some very competitive points Elsden’s experience and guile proved decisive and he won with the loss of 2 games. In the ladies singles Anne Gibbs was defending her title against Danielle Miles who was playing in her 1st Senior club final. Miles was very nervous and this showed in her lack of consistency and she succumbed 1 & 2 to the much steadier Gibbs who contented herself on getting as many balls back into play as possible and waiting for her opponent to make the mistake. Both the youngsters showed themselves capable of playing excellent points and it is only a matter of time before they will be pushing their older rivals much harder. In the ladies doubles Gibbs teamed up with Louise Tucker to play Debbie Holden and Christine Hanson in a repeat of last year’s final. Gibbs and Tucker were too strong for their opponents and won with the loss of just 1 game. The mens doubles final, which was also a repeat of last year’s, turned out to be the most competitive when it went to 3 sets. Martin Beckley and Graham Miles won a close 1st set by just one break of service, 6-4 and then Elsden and Ian Cooke hit back to lead 5-1 in the 2nd set and eventually closed that set out 6-3. In the final set Beckley’s stomach injury became more of a problem, especially when serving, and Elsden/Cooke where able to take advantage winning that set 6-1. This was reversal of last year’s final which also went to 3 sets and was the 1st title Cooke had won after playing at the club for over 25 years. Unfortunately the mixed final could not be played because Beckley’s injury made it impossible so that will be played between Elsden/Tucker and Beckley/Gibbs when he has recovered.
In the league matches no Herne Bay teams reached the Kent league finals although the mixed 1st team missed out on the division 1 play-off by just 1 rubber and the mixed 3, in division 5, by 1 match win. The last game for the ladies in division 1 was played against Sevenoaks 1 in a downpour with the courts flooded and the players splashing about in an inch of rain. In such conditions play was curtailed to just one short set and this resulted in a draw. Herne Bay’s 1st pair won 6-4 and Debbie Holden/Sue Toye lost 6-2 and Sevenoaks were the winners by 2 games. The players were glad to leave the courts to dry off. In the midweek league the mixed veterans team won their last match 4-0 at home to Broadstairs to ensure that the trophy returns to Herne Bay for the 15th year. Martin Beckley/Anne Gibbs won both their rubbers in straight sets and Bryan Packham/Sarah Pout won their 1st rubber easily and their 2nd in a championship tie-break. In the East Kent league there were wins for the ladies 1 and mixed 2 teams. Ladies 1 beat Margate 3-1 and then lost to Bearsted 4-0 which completed their season in which and they won 3 matches out of 6. The mixed 2nd team played Margate 2 at home in division 2 and won 3-1 to complete their season with 2 wins and a defeat. Dave Lawrence/Sue Toye won 2 rubbers and Diana High/Ron Withers won 1.
Several Herne Bay players have been representing Kent over the summer and the most successful was Peter Elsden who helped the mens over 45’s team to win promotion to division 1 as champions. In their final match they had to play Surrey who were also unbeaten and Kent came out on top 3-2. Keith Clark played for both the 60’s and 65’s teams and ensured both teams stayed in the the top divisions. Gary Sims was also a key member of the 65’s team. Lionel Hoskins played for the 70’s team. In the ladies 50’s Anne Gibbs played in all their matches and the team lost just once so finished second in division 1. Sarah Pout played for the 65’s team and they are currently top of division 1 with 2 matches to play.