26th May. 09

Members of Herne Bay tennis club started their summer season with matches in the Kent League this weekend. The ladies 1st team travelled to Sevenoaks to play their 1st team in division 1 and lost 3-1. The combination of fast courts and the loss of 2 key players from the 1st team to another local club meant that the team would inevitably struggle against a strong Sevenoaks side. Bay’s Louise Tucker and Anne Gibbs won one rubber but only after they had spent the 1st round getting used to the conditions. The team will hope for better results in their other matches this season. The ladies 2nd team had a more successful 1st match in division 4 when they beat Broadstairs 1 at home by 3 rubbers to 1. Sarah Pout/Denise Parrett won both their rubbers 6-2, 7-5 and 2-6 7-5 1-0 in a championship tie-break and Christine Hanson/Debbie Holden beat the opposition’s second pair 6-0 6-4. The newly promoted mens 3rd team also started their league season in division 7 at home to New Ash Green. The match was very close with both pairs beating the opposition’s 2nd pair and losing to their 1st. Dave Lawrence/Bryan Packham won one rubber in straight sets and lost the other in 3 sets while Lionel Hoskins/Charlie Jacklin beat the 2nd pair in 3 sets and then lost in straight sets. The match was decided on games when the teams were level on rubbers (2-2) and sets (5-5) and unfortunately Herne Bay lost by just 1 game, 55 –54.

The last ever KM finals were held at Bearsted on Sunday and Herne Bay tennis club was well represented having players in 5 finals. Anne Gibbs and Sally Holmes successfully defended their Ladies doubles title with a 6-2, 6-2 win against Rebecca Cooper and Harri Norfolk from Canterbury. Gibbs then teamed up with Gill Dickey to win the ladies 40 doubles title with a 7-6, 4-3 defeat of Jane Gentle and Jane Humphrey of Maidstone. Gibbs and Holmes then paired up with Keith Clark and Dominic Wood respectively to compete against each other in an all Herne Bay veteran mixed final. Holmes and Wood won 6-0, 6-3. Holmes and Wood also contested the mixed doubles final for the second year running but lost in 3 sets to Giles Davey and Faye Tagg of Tunbridge Wells. This was a reversal of the previous year’s result. Finally Graham Miles and Martin Beckley were involved in the last final of the day, the mens 45 doubles, against Terry Clare and Dave Craddock of Frindsbury. Miles and Beckley recovered after dropping the 1st set 7-5, to win 6-1, 6-1. Overall it was a very successful day for the club.