26th Feb. 12

Herne Bay tennis club are now back into the swing of playing matches after a break over Christmas and the New Year. Many of the teams are playing their final Kent League matches in their respective divisions with promotion to be won or relegation to be avoided. The ladies 1st team played their penultimate match in division 2 away to Sevenoaks 3 and maintained their 100% unbeaten record with another 4-0 win. The team was Louise Tucker/Anne Gibbs and Kay & Nicola Mileham and they won all rubbers without dropping a set. The team have to win just one rubber in their last match to achieve promotion back to the top division after only one season in division 2. The newly formed ladies 3rd team have played 2 very close matches in division 8, winning 1 and losing 1. In their home match against Kemsing 3 the team lost by one game. Sarah Pout/Christine Hanson and Lesley Taylor/Mary Gibbon both won one rubber each. The team were level on rubbers, 2-2, and sets, 4-4, but lost by one game. In their next game at home to David Lloyd, Kings Hill 3 they had a another close match but this time managed to win by 1 set. Diana High replaced Mary Gibbon in the team for this match. The team have won 2 matches and lost one with one left to play and could still win promotion to division 7 for next winter. The mens’ 1st team have completed all their matches in division 4 and with only 1 win will have to wait to see if they remain in the division. Men’s 2 have played twice in division 9 since Christmas and won 3-1 both times. They played Bearsted 2 at home in their 1st match and Knoll (Orpington) 4 at home in the 2nd. The team was the same for both matches with 1st pair, Jerry Loader/Eddie Fisher, winning 2 rubbers on each occasion and 2nd pair, Dave Smith/Dave Lawrence, winning 1. The team have one more fixture to play and have won 2 and lost one so far. The mixed 1st team played their last match in division 1 knowing that a win would ensure their survival at the top level. They took on Blackheath 1 at home and had a convincing 4-0 win. Peter Elsden/Anne Gibbs won their 1st rubber easily but had to survive a set point in a tie-break against the 2nd pair before going on to win 7-6, 6-0. Martin Beckley/Louise Tucker also beat the opposition’s 1st pair easily and struggled against the 2nds finally winning 6-4, 6-7, 10-7 in a match tie-break. The mixed 3rd team completed all their injury affected matches in division 5 without registering a win. The team was unlucky with injuries affecting several members of their team and will hope for a better season next winter. Finally, the men’s over 60’s team played a match at long last – their 3 previous fixtures had all been postponed. The team travelled to Catford Wanderers and won 4-0. Keith Clark/Gary Sims won their rubbers very easily and Dave Clemence/Bryan Packham dropped a set but still won both their rubbers.