19th Apr. 10

There were 2 Kent League matches for Herne Bay tennis club this weekend and one midweek and they all ended successfully for the club. In the mixed 1 match at home to Bexley 1 in Division 1 the 1st round started very badly for the Bay pairs of Peter Elsden/Anne Gibbs and Martin Beckley/Louise Tucker when they both lost their opening sets 6-2, luckily both pairs responded well to take the 2nd sets and then closed out the rubbers with winds in the match tie-breaks. In the second round Elsden and Gibbs won easily against the Bexley number 2’s, 6-3, 6-2 but Beckley and Tucker found themselves contending another match tie-break. This time they lost 10- 5 and the overall match score was a 3-1 win to Herne Bay. In the other match at the weekend the mixed 3rd team played Bromley Wendover 3 at home in division 5 and had a very comfortable win 4-0. Nick Wibberley/Danielle Miles won 6-4, 6-2 & 6-0, 6-0 and Ina Cooke/Christine Hanson 6-2, 6-3 & 6-1, 6-1 making a very pleasing start to the season.
In the 1st midweek match of the season for the ladies they started with a win. In the 1st round the blustery conditions made it very difficult for all the players. Bay’s 1st pairing of Anne Gibbs and Gill Dickey had a fluctuating match when they lead 4-1 in the 1st set only to lose it 6-4 then in the 2nd set they again led, this time 5-0, but managed to close out the set 6-3. In the deciding tie-break they lost 10-7. Meanwhile Bay’s second pairing of Sarah Pout and Sue Toye won easily 2 and 2. In the second round Gibbs/Dickey won 6-0, 6-3 and Pout/Toye lost 6-2, 6-4. The match was tied at 2 rubbers all but the home side won by 5 sets to 4.
The Finals of the 1st ever Maidstone Open Tennis Tournament were held at LA Fitness, Maidstone on Sunday and Herne Bay had representatives in 3 finals. The veteran mixed doubles final was an all Herne Bay affair with Martin Beckley/Gill Dickey playing Keith Clark/Anne Gibbs. The match was played under a bubble in very hot conditions and after exchanging service breaks Clark and Gibbs clinched the 1st set 6-4 and then immediately went a break behind in the 2nd set. They were unable to recover the break and lost the 2nd set 6-2. In the final set the tension started to show and the standard of play dropped but Clark and Gibbs had the stronger nerves and eventually won 6-3 to take the title. Beckley then went on to team up with Graham Miles in the mens veteran’s doubles against Simon Gent and Keith Gill from Tunbridge Wells. The match was played outdoors and Beckley/Miles won a close 1st set 7-5 then dropped the 2nd 6-3. At the start of the 3rd set Gill had to retire with a pulled calf muscle making Beckley/Miles the champions. The other final involving a Bay player was the ladies doubles but this could not be played because one of the opposition was stuck in Madeira – Gibbs and Sally Holmes will have to play this at a later date.